and not bore you with how or why I got into photography.
'The Baptism by Fire'
My first travel assignment (great opportunity but without any remuneration) was a six week shoot for the Cobb and Co coach company. I was eighteen and studying for a Diploma in Photography. How could I refuse?
I travelled through Outback Queensland, Northern Territory, and across to the WA Kimberley Coast. After visiting the Ord River and Kunnanarra we continued through to the centre of Australia - Uluru, the Olgas and then home to Brisbane via Cooper Pedy and the wine districts of South Australia.
We camped out every night and travelled over 10,000 'miles' in six weeks! I haven't stopped using cameras and loving travel photography since...
- Career Overview:
- Numerous travel and corporate assignments since 1976, including to the USA, Europe, Indonesia and SE Asia including China.
- Tertiary qualifications in Photography and Teaching.
- Lectured in Photography and Visual Communication at Griffith University.
- Established a corporate video production company in Port Douglas in 1993 (sold in 2009).
- Director of the Port Douglas web design and digital marketing company SHOWMEDIA since 2014.
- Assignments for Tourism Australia. Fantastic client and the best national tourism marketer in the world!
- Working for National Geographic on assignment in Papua New Guinea.
- Working for Computer Associates on assignment in China, Hong Kong and Singapore.
- Annual Report photography for BHP and other Australian companies.
- Working under contract for the Queensland Tourist and Travel Corporation (now Tourism Events Queensland) for 8 years. The first two years was non-stop all over Queensland. Loved it!
- First shoot in Cairns & Port Douglas in 1982. After many more visits we moved here in 1993!
- Greatest challenge:
- The Olympic Torch underwater for the Sydney Olympic Committee & Quicksilver on the Great Barrier Reef, 2000. I had 20 seconds to get this image. Viewed by over 1 billion people.
- Three time winner of the Queensland Tourism Awards - Media, inducted into the Queensland Tourism Awards - Hall Of Fame.
- Bronze Medal in the Nikon Worldwide Photo Competition out of 20,000 entries.
- GET IN TOUCH and we can talk about your budget, requirements and ideas.
- With respect I'm not interested in:
- Wedding Photography. There are some great wedding photographers based in Port Douglas.
- Or photographing Functions, Formals, School or Sports groups.
- Sony cameras including the a7s, a7, a6000, used with various lenses.
DJI Phantom 4 drone kit including 4 x batteries, ND and Polariser filters etc.
Sony Action Cam and LCD.
Editing is Mac based using various Adobe software products.